The update is: Jon Stockton doesn’t have botulism!
Botulism was not found in tests of a Maui man who was hospitalized after eating a can of recalled chili, according to the state Department of Health.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention didn’t detect the Clostridium botulinum bacteria, which produces the toxin, in 33-year-old Jon Stockton’s body, said Janice Okubo, a spokeswoman for the Hawaii Department of Health. Stockton became violently ill last month after eating a can of Cattle Drive chili that was the subject of a national recall.He was hospitalized for two days at Maui Memorial Medical Center with facial numbness and muscle weakness, symptoms similar to those caused by the botulism toxin, which affects the nervous system and can cause paralysis and death.
It appears something besides the chili made Stockton sick, Okubo said.
“He had some of the symptoms but not all. All the evidence points toward symptoms that were not due to botulism,’’ she said. “The CDC conducted a battery of tests and was not able to find botulism.’’
But Stockton said Friday the blood and stool samples used by the CDC were taken at least four days after he ate the chili, by which time traces of the bacterium would have left his body.
“I still have weak, achy muscles and my eyes keep fluttering and I have trouble swallowing,’’ he said. “I have no energy for anything.’’
I hope they at least returned Mr. Stockton’s poop to him.